I am giving Solkadhi Recipe for everyone in an easy step by step manner to enjoy this wonderful tasty drink as an appetizer or for digestion after a heavy meal
Main Ingredient in Solkadhi is Amsul or Kokum.
Dry kokum juice is mixed with the milk extracted from Coconut, Green Chillies, Cloves Of Garlic and Cumin seeds
For those who love eating fish, Solkadhi is the best and it tastes awesome when eaten with fried fish and rice.
For those who love veg, solkadhi tastes awesome with rice and paneer dishes or dishes with gravy in it.
Best about SolKadhi is one can drink solkadhi whenever he/she pleases especially during the summer season, one or two glasses of Solkadhi keep the body cool.
Solkadhi Recipe In Marathi
Solkadhi consists of kokum which is grown in the western ghats of India , SindhuDurg region, Ratnagiri Malvan, Vengurla and Sawantwadi, Goa, Coorg and Wayanad
The ripe fruit of Amsul is round like a tomato firm and red. As it ripens the colour changes to deep mauve . This colour is retained for up to 1 yr the fruit is dried and its covers are used commercially in semi-dried form.
To use it we have to soak the covers in water to give a pink extract. This pink extract is used in many dishes for its colour and sour taste
Amsul is sweet but sour
Benefits of Amsul
It is famous as it has Amsul which has many properties
- Amsul has an anti-bacterial, antifungal and anti-ulcer property
- It has many anti-oxidants and hence protects the heart and prevents heart attacks
- Amsul improves the immune system. It lowers fat formation and stabilizes cholesterol levels
- According to Ayurveda Amsul is a cure for acidity
- Kokum Sharbat made with Kokum juice, sugar, black salt is good to beat the heat in summer
- It is high in vitamin – C so it helps to build immunity
- Kokum is processed and butter is used to make moisturizer in winter
Kokum is used as a substitute to tamarind in preparation of dal and curry
- Solkadhi Recipe Ingredients
- 1 coconut grated
- 2 green chillies
- 4 or 5 cloves of garlic
- 5 Amsul
- Soak Amsul in water
- Grind coconut, Green chillies , Garlic and 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Put water little by little
- Now squeeze the ground mixture and remove the coconut milk in a bowl with the help of a sieve
- Add water again and grind
- Repeat this process till you get clear water from the coconut mixture
Some Dried and old Amsul taste the same but do not give pink colour when mixed with water.
Same happened with me when I made this recipe. My Amsul were old and the recipe tasted awesome but the pink colour was very very light.
If you want the pink colour and the taste take fresh Amsul.
This Solkadhi is ready to serve it goes well with fish
Solkadhi is a must especially in GSB homes after a heavy Non-Vegetarian meal
In this way, I have given Solkadhi Recipe for all of you
Do give me your comments